Whether you’re planning to attend Northwest Technical College or are currently enrolled, the Veterans Assistance Center is here to help you navigate the processes often required to utilize the benefits you’ve earned. We help current military members, veterans and their family members with education benefits. Students can also join the Student Veteran Club to connect with other veterans.

The Center partners with the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs Vet Center out of Duluth, MN. Readjustment counselors are available, by appointment, to meet with certain veterans. Contact our office to find out more.

Center staff can help you determine whether you’re eligible for the GIBILL®, scholarships, disability services, personal counseling, tutoring, financial aid and other college-related services.

They can also provide assistance to your family. Besides connecting with resources, you will find that the center is also a great place to connect with others. To learn more about the help available to you as a veteran, stop by the Veteran’s Assistance Center located the basement of Decker Hall, room 102. Or call us at (218) 755-2230.

Bemidji State University and the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs cooperatively created and administer the Veteran’s Assistance Center.

The Veteran’s Assistance Center is located at BSU in Decker Hall 102. Contact the office to schedule an appointment at NTC by calling (218) 755-2230 or Tony Schnellbach, Northwest Regional Coordinator, at (218) 208-7544.

Education Benefits

To become eligible for Veterans Affairs (VA) Education Benefits (GI Bill®) you need to apply through the VA. The VA makes all determinations of eligibility. You may be certified only after being admitted to NTC and preregistering for classes.

Since the VA benefits (GI Bill®) may not be sufficient to cover all educational costs, you may also apply for Financial Aid. How much you receive is based on the type of training you take, length of service, your category and if you receive kickers, as well as your enrollment status.

The College Scorecard is a consumer planning tool and resource to assist prospective students and their families as they evaluate options in selecting a school.

The College Navigator – National Center for Education Statistics is a consumer tool that provides school information about tuition and fees, retention and graduation rates, use of financial aid, student loan default rates and features a cost calculator and school comparison tool.

The College Financing Plan is a model financial aid award letter designed to simplify the information that prospective students receive about college costs and financial aid so they can easily compare institutions and make informed decisions about where to attend school. For a personalized College Financing Plan, log in to eServices with your StarID and password, then click on the “Financial Aid” link.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau contains a tool that can be used by prospective students to compare detailed financial information for up to three schools at a time. This site also includes general information about financial aid and financial literacy.

If you are receiving Tuition Assistance (TA) and are seeking access to accessibility counseling, contact Accessibility Services.

Tuition Assistance

Tuition assistance is available in several forms.

Minnesota State Tuition Reimbursement

State tuition reimbursement is only available to current members of the Minnesota Army and Air National Guard and may be used in conjunction with the Gi Bill® and Federal Tuition Assistance. To apply for tuition reimbursement, you must contact your unit’s full-time representative to obligate funds as soon as you know you will be going to school. STR requires a “C” or better to qualify.

Army National Guard Enlisted Soldiers must apply for Federal Tuition Assistance in order to be eligible to apply for STR.

Federal Tuition Assistance

Northwest Technical College has signed the Department of Defense (DOD) Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and is approved to process DoD Tuition Assistance (TA) for our degree programs. Tuition assistance benefits are available to qualifying individuals currently serving in the Armed Forces. Each service branch has specific TA policies and annual funding limits. Questions about your own assistance eligibility should be directed to your unit or education office.

You must have your request for federal tuition assistance completed 7 days prior to the start of your classes.

Make your tuition assistance request by logging into ArmyIgnited.

VA Education Benefits by Chapter

Students who are eligible to receive VA education benefits (GI Bill®) may fall into one of the following categories (chapters):

  • Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill – active duty
  • Chapter 31 – Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill
  • Chapter 35 – Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (spouse, surviving spouse, or child)
  • Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill – selected reserve
  • Chapter 1607 – Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)
  • Tuition Assistance – Army National Guard or Army Reserves

As the Certifying Office for VA Education Benefits, the Records Office is responsible for certifying enrollment and reporting changes in enrollment of veteran students to the VA. If you have any questions, contact NTC One Stop at (218) 333-6600 or records@ntcmn.edu.

You served with honor and you’re ready to further your education and skills. If you qualify, apply for VA education and training benefits online or in person.

Chapter 33-Post 9/11

Eligibility for Chapter 33 is based on qualifying periods of active duty performed after 9/10/01. Percentage of the benefit you are entitled to is determined by number of qualifying months of service. This benefit consists of three components which are tuition and fees paid directly to the institution, a housing stipend and book and supply stipend paid to the student. With additional qualifying service requirements, Chapter 33 includes an option to transfer the benefit to dependents.

Your decision to elect Chapter 33 is irrevocableIf you have any questions, contact Tony Schnellbach, NW Regional Coordinator or call the Veterans Administration at 1 (888) 442-4551 prior to completing an application for Chapter 33.

Chapter 30-Montgomery GI Bill®

Service members who have served on active duty with any branch of the armed forces may be eligible to receive Chapter 30, if they have signed up for and paid into the program. Chapter 30 recipients have 10 years after their date of discharge to use 36 months of payment.

Chapter 1606-MGIB-Selected Reserve®

Most Reserve and National Guard members are eligible for Chapter 1606 upon completion of initial training. Recipients of Chapter 1606 retain eligibility for the duration of their active drilling status. Benefit extension is available for those with mobilized service.

Chapter 35-Dependents’ Educational Assistance

If you’re the child or spouse of a Veteran or service member who has died, is captured or missing or has disabilities, you may be able to get help paying for school or job training through the DEA program — also called Chapter 35.

Chapter 31-Veteran Readiness and Employment

If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) can help. Bemidji State University’s Accessibility Office can assist with accommodations to ensure that students with disabilities have equitable access to all opportunities at BSU.

Minnesota State Education Benefits

There are several benefits available to you through the state of Minnesota.

Minnesota GI Bill®

The Minnesota GI Bill® program provides assistance to eligible Minnesota Veterans, currently serving military, National Guard and Reserve members who served after September 11, 2001 and eligible spouse and children. The Program provides a maximum benefit of $10,000. Eligible participants can use the benefit in Higher Education, On-the-job training (OJT)/Apprenticeship or License and Certification.

Applicants may receive up to $3,000 per academic year. Applicants must reapply every year for the Minnesota GI Bill®. Application for the Fall semester opens every year in the spring of the year.

This program is different than the Federal GI Bill® (Montgomery, Post 9-11, Veterans Education Assistance Program, Dependents Education Assistance Program or Vocational rehabilitation).

Student Requirements
Eligibility Requirements
  • Veteran who is serving or has served honorably in any branch of the United States armed forces at any time, or;
  • Non-Veteran who has served honorably for a total of five credible years or more cumulatively as a member of the Minnesota National Guard or any other active or reserve component of the United States armed forces, and any part of that service occurred on or after September 11, 2001, or;
  • Surviving spouse or children of a person who has served in the military at any time on, and who has died or has a 100% VA determined permanent and total disability as a direct result of that military service and must be eligible to receive federal education benefits under Chapter 33 Fry Scholarship, or Chapter 35 and provide a certificate of eligibility
  • Minnesota Resident

Surviving Spouse & Dependent Education Benefit

Surviving Spouse and Dependent Education assistance is provided to spouses and dependents, including adopted and step-children, whose Veteran spouse and/or Veteran parent died while on active duty, or as a result of a service-connected condition. The Veteran must have been a resident of Minnesota when entering the U.S. military, or have been a resident of Minnesota for at least six months prior to passing away due to a service connected disability as determined by the USDVA. Applicants must be Minnesota residents and the spouse cannot be remarried. There is no age limitation for eligible survivors.

If found eligible, survivors are allowed admission to Minnesota postsecondary education institutions either operated by this state or is operated publicly or privately and maintains academic standards substantially equivalent to those of comparable institutions operated in this state. Surviving spouses and dependents will be able to attend free of tuition until he/she obtains a bachelor’s degree. In addition, MDVA will pay $750 per fiscal year for fees, books and supplies, and/or room and board. You may apply for this benefit by accessing the application below and submitting directly to MDVA or applying with assistance through your County Veterans Service Officer.

Veteran Education Assistance

Veteran Education assistance is provided to Veterans in the form of a one-time $750 grant for tuition to Veterans who have exhausted, through use, all of their GI Bill benefits to assist with completing a bachelor’s degree. This grant is paid directly to the institution, or may be reimbursed to Veteran upon verification that tuition has been paid. You may apply for this benefit by accessing the application below and submitting directly to MDVA or applying with assistance through your County Veterans Service Officer.

GI Bill® TRADEMARK: The US Department of Veterans Affairs owns the US trademark registration for the phrase “GI Bill.” Third-party use of the term is restricted to educational and training institutions eligible to receive VA educational benefits, SAAs, and Veteran Service Organizations. Ensure that you include the trademark in your school’s published catalogs, advertisements, or other documentation.