Grants are considered gift aid that you do not have to repay and are often based on financial need. After you complete the FAFSA and are admitted to NTC, you will be considered for an array of federal and state grants.

Below is a list of what is available, including any additional criteria. If your award notification includes grants, you are not required to formally accept them; they will automatically be applied to your student bill.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is the foundation of federal student aid, awarded to undergraduate students with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The award amount varies with level of enrollment. Federal Pell Grant recipients should finalize their registration for the entire term during the first five class days (free drop add period) to maximize their funding level.  Withdrawing from one or more courses within the first two weeks may cause a Pell Grant award to reduce to the adjusted level of enrollment. Pell Grant eligibility is limited to 12 full-time semesters or the equivalent.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Like the Pell Grant, the FSEOG is awarded to undergraduate students with the lowest EFC. Priority must be given to Pell Grant recipients. Very limited funds are available, so it is critical to apply as early as possible for aid to be considered for this grant.

MN State Grant

The Minnesota State Grant is awarded to undergraduate Minnesota residents with a low EFC attending a MN post-secondary institution. Once a student has attempted the equivalent of 4 full-time years of post-secondary education, the student is no longer eligible for the grant. Awards change on a per credit basis for enrollment between 3 and 15 credits. The FAFSA has to be completed and received by the school within the first 30 days of the semester.

MN Postsecondary Child Care Grant

Undergraduate Minnesota residents who meet income guidelines and have out of pocket child care expenses are considered for this grant. The student must have a dependent child 12 years of age or younger who will be receiving care regularly. Eligibility is restricted to those students who are not receiving Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) benefits and have not attended 4 years of post-secondary education.  Funds are limited and applications are processed until all funds are awarded.

MN Indian Scholarship and Tribal Grants

Minnesota residents with documented one-fourth or more Indian ancestry may be eligible for the Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program. Students of Indian ancestry may also be eligible for a Tribal Grant. Students should contact their individual Tribal Education Office for specific information and application forms.

Veteran’s Benefits

Veterans may earn educational benefits based on their U.S. military service.

Vocational Rehabilitation Services

Educational benefits are available for students with documented disabilities to help achieve their educational, employment and independent living goals.

Workforce Innovation and Opportunity

Programs that help with a variety of services if you are job seeking, looking to improve your current employment situation, or have been laid-off from your job. Educational benefits for tuition assistance may be available through the these office. These programs are income contingent.

Rural MN CEP

location map of Rural MN CEP counties served

Inter-County Community Council Employment & Training Programs

location map of Inter-County Community Council Employment & Training programs, counties served in Minnesota

Minnesota Education and Training Voucher (ETV)

An Education and Training Voucher (ETV) provides up to $5,000 per award year to pay for post-secondary education, including: tuition and fees, books, housing, transportation, child care, other school-related expenses.