We offer this toolbox of documents and links to help you improve your academic skills. We encourage the use of advisors, tutors, and instructors to help you use these tools.
- Time Management Skills and Strategies — Web article on strategies you can use to improve your time management skills.
- 10 Tips for Time Management — Tips to manage your study time more effectively.
- Using a Daily Planner — A key way to manage your time is through the use of a daily planner. Learn how to use it effectively.
- Activity Log [doc] — Download this activity log which helps you get a picture of how you spend your time.
- Priority Task Sheet [doc] — Download this task sheet to help you manage your assignments and tasks according to priority. Download contains log form and directions for use.
Study Skills Assessments
- Index of Learning Styles Questionnaire — Free online assessment of your learning style with study skill strategies based on your personal learning style.
- StrengthsQuest — Assess your top five innate talents and use the online resources to develop your academic strengths in college.
Successful Study Strategies
- Tips for Success — Ten tips to help you make the most of college life, and excel in your classes.
- Study Tips for Academic Success — Essential skills you need to do well in your classes.
- Memory — Use association techniques and exercises to help you improve your memorization of terms and concepts.
- Tips to Help Concentration — Strategies to help you stay focused during study time.
- Are You Sleep Deprived? — Take this quiz to see if you’re getting enough rest to perform at your peak.
- Note Taking — Note-taking is an essential feature of a good student. Here is provided some links to improve the skill of note taking.
- How to Make an Outline — Clear concise instructions on creating an outline.
- How to Form a Study Group — Form a study group that stays on task and gets things done.
- How to Read a Textbook — Useful tips on actively reading your college textbook.
- How to Study History — Useful suggestions on how to approach your history classes most effectively.
- Test Preparation — Essential techniques to help you better understand your material and strategies for successful test taking.
- Relaxation Exercise for Exam Anxiety — Strategies to help you conquer exam anxiety and perform your best when it counts.
- Calculate Semester GPA — Calculate your semester GPA in order to assess your academic progress.
- Raising Your GPA — Use this calculator to see what you may need to earn this semester to raise your cumulative GPA goal.
Starfish Resources for Students
- Starfish – A communication tool to connect you with your instructors and other sources of support at NTC. Learn how NTC is using Starfish to help you reach your goals, how to set up your Starfish Profile, and how to use Starfish.