Medical Office Procedures
Description: This course covers medical office tasks performed by the medical secretary/assistant. Medical topics covered include health care careers, legal and ethical responsibilities, medical appointments, telephone techniques, medical records management, medical office management and meeting and travel arrangements.
Credit Breakdown: 2/1/0 (Lecture/Lab/On the job training)
This course should help you gain the following abilities and competencies.
- Demonstrate effective communication/interaction skills.
- Demonstrate thinking/active learning skills.
- Demonstrate career/computation skills.
- Demonstrate technology skills.
- Demonstrate global/environmental perspective.
- Demonstrate self-development skills.
- Recognize various titles for office positions usually filled by a medical assistant, and recognize the places where an assistant might find employment.
- Identify members of the healthcare team.
- Describe the different types of law and their origins.
- Describe ethics and differentiate law and ethics.
- Identify cultural considerations when interacting with patients.
- Describe the fundamentals of communication.
- Identify the use of computer and manual systems for scheduling appointments.
- Explain the concept of exceptional patient service.
- Explain the role of health information management.
- Identify steps of the billing process.
- Apply health insurance and benefits terminology.
- Identify types of ownership of medical facilities
- Explain the coordination of travel arrangements.
- Describe bookkeeping and accounting procedures and financial record retention.
- Describe human resource management: Create an efolio
Last Updated: 2011-05-23