Am I Career Ready
The National Association for Colleges and Employers (NACE) has identified eight competencies that will give you a professional edge. Employers want to hire applicants who have these in-demand skills and strengths.
- Take self-assessments in the various competencies listed to assess and strengthen your career readiness. Employers have identified these eight areas; learn how you can enhance your employability on these in-demand skills.
- Find the “Am I Career Ready” under FOCUS in your MyNTC account. Hover above your name, within the drop down menu, on the left hand side.
1. CAREER PLANNING
Assesses students’ involvement and introduces activities that support career and education decision making. Career Readiness establishes the baseline. Includes the student’s self described career and educational goals, academic strengths and weaknesses, career planning status, and personal development needs
Five reliable and valid assessments guide the career exploration process. Students can combine the results of multiple assessments to get more refined results. Students can review their answers and retake any assessment as often as they like.
The full battery includes:
- Work Interest Inventory
- Personality Assessment
- Leisure Activities
3. CAREER EXPLORATION
Our extensive database includes current detailed information on 1000+ different occupations. You can compare two occupations side by side, search for occupations by industry and much more. Brief videos accompany many of the occupations to give students a better feel for a “day in the life of …”
- Educational Requirements including Major Areas of Study
- Job Duties
- Job Outlook and Trends
- Advancement Opportunities
- Typical Work Environment
- Typical Work Interest Profile
- Professional Associations
4. WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH A MAJOR IN …?
Focus 2 incorporates the areas of study offered at your school. Allows students to explore potential career options for each of your programs of study.
5. TAKING ACTION
Students plan for career relevant academic experiences by going through a process which helps them focus their ideas and decide the steps they need to take to achieve their specific goals.
- Developing a relevant course plan
- Volunteer and Community Service
- Study Abroad Opportunities
- Work Experience
- Building a Network of Contacts