Understanding “W” grades
- The course remains on your transcript with a “W” grade, if you withdraw during the withdrawal period.
- A “W” grade does not affect your grade point average (GPA).
- The credits for the class for which you have received a ‘W’ grade will count as attempted credits. Attempted credits are used when calculating your course completion rate, as explained in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.
- Withdrawing from a class will not change your tuition or fees.
Withdrawing from some of your classes
Students may withdraw (drop) from a course during the withdrawal period described below. After this time, no course may be dropped except in special hardship cases. A student wishing to withdraw from a course can do it through e-Services.
Fall and Spring Semesters:
Last day to add or drop a class – 5th day of the term
Courses starting later in the term may be added through the first course day.
Withdraw period – starts after the 5th day of the term, and the last day to withdraw varies. The last date to withdraw is up to 80% of the course meetings. The specific course dates are available through e-Services. Students will find those dates on the view/modify class schedule screen, under drop/withdraw dates.
Last day to add or drop a class less than three week long – 1st day of class
Last day to add or drop a class for course meeting 3 weeks or longer – 5th day of class
Withdrawal period – starts after the last day to drop and is up to 80% of the course meetings. The specific course dates are available through e-Services. Students will find those dates on the view/modify class schedule screen, under drop/withdraw dates.
Withdrawing from all of your classes
If you are withdrawing from ALL of your classes it is advised that you complete the following additional steps:
- If you would like to speak to a counselor or faculty about anything concerning academic or personal circumstances related to your withdrawal: You are encouraged to stop by NTC One Stop Services.
- If you live in the residence halls and/or have a meal plan: Contact the Residential Life Office in Walnut Hall, 755-3750, to terminate your Residential Life Contract and receive directions for proper checkout procedures.
- If you received any type of financial aid: Contact the Financial Aid Office in Room 119, 333-6600, to address the following: 1) repayment of aid received if you are withdrawing prior to 60% of the term being completed; 2) discuss your eligibility for future financial aid when you return to school; and 3) to receive exit student loan information.
- All students withdrawing must: Contact Business Services, 218-755-2046, to determine if you are eligible to receive a refund or whether you need to repay financial aid.
Fall & Spring Semesters
Date of Total Withdrawal from All Classes Refund Allowed
Business Days 1-5 100%
Business Days 6-10 75%
Business Days 11-15 50%
Business Days 16-20 25%
Refund beginning 21st Business Day 0%
Withdrawal Period Refund %
1st through 5th business day of the term 100%
6th through 10th business day of the term 50%
after the 10th business day of the term 0%
Class terms less than three weeks in length.
Withdrawal Period Refund %
1st business day of the term 100%
2nd through the 3rd business day of the term 50%
after the 3rd business day of the term 0%
Finally, you must withdraw from all your classes in e-Services. If you need assistance, contact NTC One Stop Services, or call 218-333-6600.