Skip Navigation

Records Office

Look here to find answers for your registration and class schedule questions including: requesting transcripts, name changes, checking your grades, DARS, and more.

Quick Resources

  • Class Schedule - find the classes that you need to take when they are offered
  • Programs & Courses - choose a program of study and find the requirements
  • MyNTC - Check your Email, use E-Services, and enter D2L (online learning software)

Add or Drop Courses

  • You can add or drop a course during the first five days of the spring/fall semester. Contact an advisor or records personnel for help.
  • You may add late-starting courses before the class begins without instructor approval. Contact an advisor or records personnel for help.
  • Refunds are only available during the five-day drop/add period for spring and fall semesters, except as specified in the Refund Policy.
  • Late adds will be processed only with the approval of the instructor and the Dean of Northwest Technical College.
  • For summer term, refer to the summer term Refund Schedule.

Auditing Courses

To audit a course, submit the Audit Request Form (PDF, 58 KB) with your instructor's signature to the Records Office during the first five days of the semester.

Change Your Name

NTC needs the following:

  1. Driver's License or State ID card
  2. Signed Social Security card with new name
  3. Certified copies of marriage, divorce, or court documents.
  4. Download the Change in Learner Status form (PDF - 99 KB).
  5. Mail the form with additional documentation to:
    Northwest Technical College attn:  admissions
    905 Grant Avenue SE
    Bemidji, MN 56601
  6. You may also fax the information to 218-333-6697.

Change Your Major/Program

To change your major fill out the Change in Learner Status Form (PDF, 99 KB) and submit it to the Records Office.

Checking Your Grades

To see term grades:

  1. Login to MyNTC and click "E-Services".
  2. Click on Grades and Transcripts.
  3. Select the Year/Term you want to check and click on the Continue button.
  4. To print, use the print function of your web browser.

To calculate your Grade Point Average (GPA), take the total grade points achieved in a given time period and divide it by the total credits of courses for which grades of A, B, C, D and F were received (A,U, W and P grades do not affect GPA).

Note: Grade reports are not mailed. If you need an official print out of your grades, please request an official transcript using the Transcript Request From (PDF, 122 KB).

DARS - Degree Audit Report System

The Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) delivers computerized information about course requirements needed to complete your degree or program of study at Northwest Technical College.

Your DARS report shows:

  • Courses and requirements you completed at Northwest Technical College
  • Courses and requirements you still need to complete at Northwest Technical College
  • Course options to plan your registration at Northwest Technical College
  • Transfer of credit and courses and their application toward MnTC completion (note: NTC does not award the MnTC)
  • Approved Academic Petitions/Exceptions to requirements or credit by exam

Access your DARS report

To access your DARS report, login to MyNTC and click "E-Services". Select Grades and Transcripts and Degree Audit Report. You may use NTC's computers to see and print your own DARS report at no cost.

Understanding Your DARS Audit

Watch "How to Read Your Interactive DARS Audit" (video tutorial). If the degree or program of study listed at the top of your DARS report is incorrect, you can update it by submitting the Change in Learner Status form (PDF, 99 KB)

Bring your DARS audit to all academic advising sessions and attach a copy of your DARS report to any academic appeal. For questions about your DARS results or fulfilling your degree requirements, contact your program advisor.

DARS was released at Northwest Technical College in Fall 2005. Some transfer credit and approved academic petitions received prior to Fall 2005 may not appear in DARS. However, this information is still part of a student's academic record at Northwest Technical College.

Data Privacy

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 gives you the right to review records, files, and other documents containing information about you as a student, which Northwest Technical College maintains.

According to regulations from the Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare, you can:

  • Request a hearing to challenge the contents of your records if they are misleading or inaccurate.
  • Include a written note in your records if the college does not make the changes that you request.
  • File a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education if the college fails to comply with FERPA regulations.
  • You can contact the office that administers FERPA at:
    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-4605

Directory Information

Northwest Technical College handles directory information in compliance with FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) regulations and has designated the following information as directory information:

  • Learner name
  • Program major
  • Dates of attendance
  • Learner honors and awards
  • Learner enrollment status
  • Enrolled
  • Graduated
  • Withdrawn
  • Part-time
  • Full-time

This directory information is public data unless you request any of it to be treated as private. See "Non-Disclosure of Directory Information" (on this page) for more information.

Enrollment Verification

As a student, you are frequently required to obtain enrollment certifications from the Records Office for government or private agencies. Many require verification of "full-time" or "half-time" status. This is in accordance with the provisions set forth in the FERPA Act of 1974.

Northwest Technical College uses the following definitions for full-time and half-time status:

  • Full-time: A student registered for 12 or more semester credits.
  • Half-time: A student registered for 6-11 semester credits.
  • First Year: A student who has earned less than 30 semester credits.
  • Second Year: A student who has earned 30 or more semester credits.

Northwest Technical College has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to be the agent for verification of student enrollment. There's a five day turn-around for processing.

Phone: 703.742.4200
Fax: 703.742.4239

Lookup Your ID

You should not share your learner ID without proper security measures. Although NTC cannot share this information over the phone, you can:

Have your Social Security number and PIN ready and visit "E-Services" or go to the Records/Registration Office, show your picture ID, and we will provide your PIN number.

Non-Disclosure of Directory Information

Directory information can be released without authorization, unless you restrict release of the information. You can restrict release of your directory information by contacting the Records Office in writing or completing the Do Not Release form (99 KB).

Disadvantages of Restricting Data

If you restrict directory information, the restriction remains in effect until you formally notify the Records Office in writing to remove it, even after you graduate or cease enrollment.

Some learners have experienced considerable inconvenience by restricting their directory information as Northwest Technical College is unable to verify degrees earned, dates of attendance, or enrollment status to any third parties (including future employers) while the restriction is in effect.

Contact the Records Office.


  • Prerequisites are courses or test placements required to register for a course. (See the online course description, class schedule and college catalog).
  • If you think the registration system is in error, provide any documentation that proves you have met the course prerequisites listed in the college catalog. (Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for prerequisites).

Print Your Transcript

Login to MyNTC and go to "E-Services". For unofficial transcripts, select Grades and Transcripts from the menu on the left of the screen. Official transcripts must be requested in writing using the transcript request form (PDF, 122 KB).

Registering For Classes

New Students:

  • After completion of your admission application, you will be invited to a registration orientation. Contact the Admissions Office for information and registration dates.

Returning Students:

  • Search for classes that you would like to take on the Class Schedule.
  • Register for classes online by logging into MyNTC and going to "E-Services".
  • Check for holds on your records
  • Check open class sections
  • Check and print your class schedule
  • Check your grades

Request Your Official Transcript

Get delivery of an official, sealed transcript to another college(s) or third party either online, by mail, fax or in person. All transcripts come in individually sealed envelopes, unless otherwise specified. Please note:

  • We cannot accept phone or e-mail requests
  • Transcript requests aren't processed if you have an outstanding obligation
  • We will not fax transcripts
  • There is no charge for official transcripts

If you attended former NTC campuses, make your request to:

Detroit Lakes, Wadena, Fergus Falls, Perham or Moorhead, contact Minnesota State Community &Technical College (M-State).

East Grand Forks, contact Northland Community & Technical College.

Email transcript request forms to: Put "Transcript Request Form" in the subject line. Transcripts are processed by Northwest Technical College within five business days.

To mail or fax your request, complete the Transcript Request Form (PDF - 122 KB).

Mail requests to:
Northwest Technical College
Transcript Request
905 Grant Avenue SE
Bemidji, MN 56601

Fax requests to:

To request an official transcript in person, come to the Enrollment Services Office and complete a Transcript Request Form (PDF - 122 KB).

The transcript will be sent or be available for pick-up within five business days of receipt of request (except during peak periods at start and end of registration periods and semesters). To pick it up in person, you must show a picture ID. Northwest Technical College does not process rush requests.

Reset Your PIN

Your PIN number is your personal signature and is very sensitive as it provides access to your private data. To reset your PIN number, you can:

  • Come to the Records/Registration Office and show picture ID.
  • Call 218.333.6646
  • Login to MyNTC and going to "E-Services" (web-based course transfer system)

See how your courses transfer in and transfer out of Northwest Technical College. is a free multi-state online tool for students and advisors, used in determining course equivalencies, program requirements, and applicability of coursework when transferring between schools. Information obtained through should be considered unofficial and should be verified when you transfer in and transfer out of Northwest Technical College.

Why Can't I Register?

You may be blocked from registering for classes because:

  • The class you want is full. Check online for other available sections
  • You owe money. Find your balance online or call the Business Office: 218.333.6614
  • You are on academic suspension. See a counselor or call 218.333.6646.
  • You have a hold on your records. Check online at: "Check Registration Holds"
  • You may not have the prerequisites needed for the course. Check the prerequisites to see your status or call the Records Office: 218.333.6646.

Withdrawing From Courses

  • Course withdrawals ("W" grades) begin on the sixth day of the spring/fall semester, unless noted otherwise in the course schedule
  • You may qualify for a refund only if you withdraw from all classes. (see Refund Policy)
  • Withdraw after you stop attending a course or you will likely receive a grade of "F"
  • Withdrawals do not influence GPA, but negatively impact academic progress.

How to Withdraw from Courses

There are three different ways you can withdraw from classes.

  1. Online
  2. In-person at the Records Office
  3. By a written request with your signature by U.S. mail (No email or fax requests!)

Reminder: There is no refund for partial withdrawal. You must withdraw from all classes to receive a pro-rated refund based on the withdraw schedule. You are required to pay tuition and fees unless you drop classes by the deadline. Northwest Technical College will not drop courses for non-attendance. See Handbook and Policies.

For additional assistance, please contact the Records Office.


Feedback about this page Feedback: happy, indifferent, sad?