Timeliness is important
Timely and prompt reporting of a sexual assault within 72 hours is critical in collecting and preserving evidence important in proving a criminal case against the assailant. Do not bathe, douche, use the toilet, or change clothing. Note everything about the location. Even if the 72 hours has passed, you may report incidents of sexual violence at any time.
Seek medical attention
If you have been the victim of a sexual assault, you should seek medical attention from the Sanford Bemidji Hospital (218-751-5430) or Bemidji State University Health Services (218-755-2053) immediately regardless of whether you report the matter to the police.
Northwest Technical College and Bemidji State University care deeply about the safety and well-being of its students and employees. A witness or victim of an incident of sexual assault who reports the incident in good faith shall not be sanctioned by the university/college for admitting in the report to a violation of the institution’s code of conduct policy on the personal use of drugs or alcohol.
Consequences of filing a report
Filing a report with the Department of Public Safety will not obligate you to pursue prosecution, nor will it subject the victim to scrutiny or judgment.
Filing a report will:
- Ensure that a victim of sexual assault receives the necessary medical treatment and tests, at no expense to the victim.
- Provide the opportunity for collection of evidence that is helpful for prosecution, and cannot be obtained later (ideally a victim of sexual assault should not wash, douche, use the toilet, or change prior to a medical exam).
- Assure the victim has access to free confidential counseling from counselors specifically trained in the area of sexual crisis intervention.
How will I be treated if I have experienced sexual violence and I want to file a report?
- Victims’ Rights Regarding Sexual Violence and Assault.
- Sexual Violence Protocols
- Northwest Technical College – Sexual Assault BSMART Protocols
- Bemidji State University – Sexual Assault BSMART Protocols